Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What we're doing

So we decided to create this blog for our family and friends to follow us through our travels to Tanzania. Until we get in country, we'll focus on what we'll be doing, the process of moving, and general stuff of interest. So for this post, I'll start with what I'll be doing.

I will be working with the CDC's Global Aids Program (GAP) which is the CDC part of the President's Emergency Plan for Aids Relief in Africa (PEPFAR).

The goal of PEPFAR is to reduce the incidence of HIV in Africa with focuses on the Care and Treatment of HIV individuals, the reduction of Mother to Child Transmission, the education of individuals in regards to prevention strategies. Some other parts of the CDC response also involves Malaria and TB prevention.

Specifically, my roll will be as a Lab Procurement Adviser. Tanzania has a health system that is based on the Ministry of Health providing test kits, medicines, and other medical items to the populace. Tanzania is split into Regions, then into smaller Districts, and finally into Health Facilities and Dispensaries. Each level has specific tests that they perform. They all order supplies from the Medical Stores Department (MSD) which frequently run out of needed supplies due to various reasons. The CDC has asked me to work with our partners (USAID, DoD, Peace Corp, etc..) and to help work on the issues that the facilities and labs face in obtaining lab supplies through the MSD.

The challenges are many. Luckily, even though Kiswahili is the official language, most business and professionals speak English.

Feel free to post comments if there are other topics that you would like us to cover.

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your experiences! Could you have ever imagined you'd be doing THIS 30 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of the man you have become. Even though we will miss you, Laura, Sadie and little money, this is an experience you will never forget. I just need to get a web cam and learn skype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you guys. This is going to be a great adventure for you. It is sad to know you will be so far away but I wouldn't change it if I could. You have worked hard to achieve this opportunity for you and your family. I look forward to learning about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will be an empty spot in the heart of Monroe and On Stage with your absence. But as one of my favorite little snipits from the Bible is "And it came to pass" it didn't come to stay so I know you will be back home before long. You are in our prayers continually... For such a time is this you are called faithful! Deb Clark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, always knew you were smarter than you Dad.
    Love,
    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  6. While we’re so very sad to see you leave town :( but we know that this is a terrific, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you :)

    We’re really looking forward to following your life and adventures through your blog. Mostly, though, we’re looking forward to visiting with you sometime next Summer. Do we need to make our reservations now ;)

    Anne (& Charlie)

    ReplyDelete